Concessions and grants

Each state and territory government has a range of concessions, grants, rebates and other assistance to help ease cost of living pressures for their residents.

There are lots available, so it is always worth checking what you’re eligible for.

Download PDF

This page has information about what financial assistance is available to help ease cost of living pressures, for individuals and households, from each state and territory government. A the bottom of this page we have information about other assistance available such as utility grants, mortgage relief schemes and No Interest Loans (NILs).

Some concessions, grants and rebates are only available if you are on a low income, or have a Health Care Card, or where Centrelink is your main source of income. Then there are some that are only available when you are on a low income or experiencing in financial hardship.

The eligibility requirements, type and amount of assistance varies from state to state so it is worth checking what is available from the state or territory government in which you live.

If you don’t know where to start, call us on 1800 007 007 to speak with one of our financial counsellors.

State and territory government assistance

It is worth keeping up to date with concessions, rebates, grants, vouchers and other cost of living support available to individuals and households in your State or Territory. Click on the relevant link below to find out more.

Australian Capital Territory

  • The ACT Government has a range of discounts, rebates and subsidies to relieve cost of living pressures in areas like housing, transport, bills and dental care.
  • Use the ACT Government – Savings Finder for a list of the savings that may be relevant to you and information on how to apply.

New South Wales

  • The NSW Government has a range of rebates and savings available to help ease the cost of living for NSW residents.  These include Toll Relief, Energy Rebates, Energy Accounts Payment Assistance (EAPA) vouchers, the NSW Spectacles program and more.
  • See NSW Government – Savings Finder for more information or to use the Savings Finder to find rebates and savings you may be eligible for.

Northern Territory


  • The QLD Government has a range of concessions and savings available to help ease the cost of living for QLD residents.  These include the Electricity Rebate Scheme, Home Energy Emergency Assistance Scheme, Bond loans and rental grants, Spectacle Supply Scheme, Oral Health Scheme, and more.
  • See QLD Government – Cost of Living Support for more information.

South Australia

  • The SA Government has a range of concessions, benefits and grants available to help ease the cost of living for SA residents. These include energy bill concessions, School Card scheme, FuneralAssistanceSA, GlassesSA, and more.
  • See SA Government – Concessions and Grants for more information.


  • The Tasmanian government offers a wide range of discounts and concessions to individuals and households to help with the cost of living and access to essential services. These include annual electricity concession, private rental assistance, Student Assistance Scheme, Spectacles Assistance Scheme, and more.
  • See TAS Government – Discounts and Concessions for more information.


  • A range of concessions and grants are available to Victorians who are on low incomes or experiencing hardship and need help meeting the cost of living. These include the Utility Relief Grant Scheme, MyPost Concession Account, Victorian Eyecare Service, Bereavement assistance, and more.
  • See VIC Government – Concessions and Benefits for more information.

Western Australia

  • The WA government offers a range of rebates, concessions and financial assistance to individuals to help meet the cost of certain household bills and other essential services.
  • See WA Government – ConcessionsWA for more information.

Centrelink and other government assistance

The Centrelink Payment and Service Finder can help you work out what Centrelink payments and other government assistance you could be eligible to receive.

It is quick and easy to use.  You do not even need to create an account or put your personal contact details. All you need to do is answer the questions (for example, if you have kids, if you are renting, if you are a carer, etc) and then hit ‘submit’.

Once you have answered the questions, you will be presented with a list of payments, concessions, grants and services you may be eligible for.  If you are eligible to receive a payment, it can estimate how much you might receive. For example, you may be able to access carer payments, Jobseeker payment, rent assistance, Family Tax Benefit, a low-income health card, or other support payment.

Use the Centrelink Payment and Service Finder to find out more.

Emergency assistance

If you are in financial hardship and struggling to meet your basic needs, emergency financial assistance is available from services across Australia.  This includes

  • Emergency relief for food and household bills
  • Help for defence force veterans in financial hardship
  • Centrelink crisis and advance payments
  • Financial assistance for people who have experienced family and domestic violence
  • Housing assistance for people who are homeless or at risk of homelessness
  • Mental health and wellbeing support for people in crisis or feeling overwhelmed

See our page on Emergency Assistance for more information.

Speak to one of our financial counsellors

If you’re feeling overwhelmed and need some help to deal with your financial hardship, you can speak with one of our financial counsellors.

Financial counsellors aren’t judgmental about your circumstances – they’re here to offer you free, confidential and independent advice and assistance.

To speak to a financial counsellor you can:

  • Call the National Debt Helpline on 1800 007 007 – open weekdays from 9:30 am to 4:30 pm.
  • Use our live chat service by clicking the chat icon in the bottom right corner of your screen. Live chat is available 9:00 am to 8.00 pm weekdays. If you send a message outside these hours a financial counsellor will get back to you.
  • Make an appointment to see a financial counsellor in your local area – Find a local Financial Counsellor.

Other assistance available

Utility relief grants and concessions

If you are struggling to pay your electricity, gas or water bills there are utility relief grants (or bill assistance) and concessions (or discounts) available from your state or territory government.  The eligibility requirements, type and amount of assistance varies from state to state.

Ask your electricity, gas or water provider for information about grants and concessions available or refer to your state or territory government website (see the list above on this page) for more information.

Read more about utility bill hardship and assistance available on our Electricity, Gas & Water bills page.

Mortgage Relief Scheme

The ACT and Queensland have government-funded mortgage relief schemes for home-owners struggling with short-term, severe financial hardship. In these schemes, interest-free loans are offered to cover arrears and some future payments.

Each of these states/territories has its own strict eligibility requirements. For more information, contact:

We recommend you speak to a financial counsellor if you believe you may benefit from one of these schemes.

Read more about mortgage hardship and assistance available on our Home loans page.

No Interest Loans (NILs)

No Interest Loans (NILs) provide access to safe, fair and affordable credit to people on low incomes.

There is no interest or fees charged on a No Interest Loan.  Ever.  You only pay back what you have borrowed.

You may be eligible to borrow up to $2,000 for the cost of essential goods and services including:

  • Household essentials: for example, a fridge or washing machine
  • Health and wellbeing: for example, medical and dental costs
  • Education and employment: for example, school activities and uniforms
  • Housing: for example, house repairs and hot water tank
  • Vehicle and transport: for example, car repairs and registration.

You may be eligible to borrow up to $3,000 to pay for specific things such as:

  • Rent advance and bond (paid to a real estate agent, not a private landlord)
  • Rent arrears (if caused by exceptional circumstances such as hospitalisation)
  • Council rates
  • Utility bills (only if you have or are experiencing family and domestic violence)

See our page on No Interest Loans for more information.