Find A Financial Counsellor

The easiest and quickest way to speak with a financial counsellor in your state or territory is to call 1800 007 007.

Or you can search our interactive map at the bottom of this page.

Find a financial counsellor

If you’re feeling overwhelmed and need some help in dealing with your financial stress, please contact one of our financial counsellors.

Financial counsellors aren’t judgemental about your circumstances – they’re here to offer you free, confidential and independent support and advice.

To speak to a financial counsellor you can:

  • Call the National Debt Helpline on 1800 007 007. The National Debt Helpline is available 9:30 am to 4:30 pm weekdays.
  • Use our live chat service by clicking the chat icon in the bottom right corner of your screen. Live chat is available 9:00 am to 8.00 pm weekdays. If you send a message outside these hours a financial counsellor will get back to you during operating hours.
  • Make an appointment to see a financial counsellor in your local area. Find a local financial counsellor on the map below.

Our financial counsellors are qualified professionals who offer practical advice and help to people who have debts and are struggling to pay their living expenses.

Financial counsellors have specific knowledge about the credit, bankruptcy and debt collection laws, social security framework, grants and concessions available, industry hardship obligations and how to access free dispute resolution through industry ombudsman schemes.

A financial counsellor’s job is to listen to your story, understand your financial situation, and advise you on your options. With your permission, they can also act on your behalf.  They may also provide you with a referral(s) to an appropriate service for additional help.


Specialist financial counsellors

There are also specialist financial counsellors providing free advice and support to specific groups of people or those in specific circumstances. These include: farmers, small businesses, people with gambling issues, people who have experienced family and domestic violence, or people who have applied or are thinking about applying to the National Redress Scheme.  Contact details for these specialist financial counselling services are below.

If you’re not sure whether you need a specialist financial counsellor, start by contacting the general National Debt Helpline number and a financial counsellor can refer you to the best support option.


Family and Domestic Violence (FDV)
  • There are specialist financial counselling services across Australia that can help women who have experienced FDV take steps to protect their financial safety, deal with debts, financial hardship, Centrelink entitlements, and money management. Call the National Debt Helpline on 1800 007 007 and ask to be referred to your closest service.
  • Or call 1800 RESPECT (1800 737 732) (24 hours a day, 7 days a week). Online help and details of support services in your state or territory are available at


Gambling Help
  • Financial counsellors can help you manage debts caused by gambling. However, some financial counsellors are trained as specialist gambling financial counsellors – call the National Debt Helpline and ask to be referred to your closest service if you need additional help.
  • Or call Gambling Helpline on 1800 858 858 (24 hours a day, 7 days a week). Online help and details of state services are available at the Gambling Help Online website.


Rural financial counsellors
  • Call 1300 771 741 to speak to a Rural Financial Counselling Service (RFCS) provider. RFCS providers support primary producers and small rural businesses with planning and assistance in times of need. Visit  to learn more about the Rural Financial Counselling and Small Business Support available.


Small business financial counselling
  • Call 1800 413 828 to speak to a specialist small business financial counsellor on the Small Business Debt Helpline. This service provides advice to small business owners and sole traders in financial difficulty. The website is


National Redress Scheme financial counselling support
  • Specialist financial counsellors at knowmore legal service can assist people who are thinking about applying, or have applied, to the National Redress Scheme.  They can help you understand how the payment may affect your situation, including any impact on benefits you receive.  They can also work with you to manage your debts before receiving a payment.
  • Call 1800 605 762 to speak to a specialist financial counsellor at knowmore.
  • Visit knowmore to learn more about the financial counselling support available.

Find a financial counsellor map